Leagues

Portugal defender Joao Cancelo has been ruled out of Euro 2020 after testing positive for COVID-19 and will be replaced by Diogo Dalot ahead of their tournament opener against Hungary on Tuesday, the European champions said.

The versatile Manchester City player tested positive for the novel coronavirus on Saturday and is “doing well” after being placed in isolation, the team added.

Euro 2020 on ESPN: Stream LIVE games and replays (U.S. only)
Euro 2020 on ESPN: Latest news, features, video

“In accordance with the COVID-19 protocol defined by UEFA before the Euro 2020 matches, all players and members of the entourage underwent RT-PCR tests on Saturday,” Portugal said in a statement on Sunday.

“The results, with the exception of Cancelo, were negative.”

Portugal under-21 international Dalot, who plays for Italian Serie A side AC Milan, will join the team’s delegation in Budapest to prepare for his debut at Euro 2020.

Dalot had been part of the side which reached the Euro U21 final earlier this summer, losing to Germany on June 6. Dalot played every match.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

USWNT suffers crushing defeat in Olympics opener
Japan captain questions fan ban at Tokyo 2020
Source: LAFC near deal for Colombian striker
Transfer Talk: Paul Pogba turns down Manchester United’s £50m contract offer
Boca players, Brazil police clash in wild scenes

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *